Job: Over Arching
Type: Alterations & Extension
Location: Cramond Road North, Cramond, Edinburgh
Summary: A new client who has since appointed us for several projects and successfully recommended us to others.
Commissioned from writing the brief, to design, to completion and occupation.
● A detached bungalow which had been altered and extended with an attic conversion and a large two storey extension to the rear.
● The house sitting in very large private grounds.
● At the outset viewing the property with the clients to assess its potential prior to their purchase.
● Thereafter to substantially alter and extend the dwelling to satisfy the clients’ high quality expectations both in accommodation, finishes and lifestyle.
● The existing building was gutted and thereafter a substantial alteration, re-fit and extension undertaken.
● Final accommodation comprised entrance vestibule and hallway; at ground floor leading to dining room, drawing room, utility room, kitchen and large conservatory style garden room; at first floor level master bedroom with ensuite and private balcony. Two further double bedrooms with shared bathroom. The entire property fully wired for data etc.
AT first floor level the existing structure was exposed and highlighted. This included the use of concealed lighting to highlight such features. In addition extraordinary elements of structure were identified and expressed in the final fit-out to add bespoke character.
At ground floor level the clients preferred an open plan arrangement combined with the potential to subdivide areas. As a result those openings between the garden room and the drawing room as well as the kitchen incorporated large glazed sliding screens.
The bespoke steel frame to the garden room was used as a key design feature. The steel design going directly from our computers to the computers controlling the steel fabricators laser cutters. Thereafter a specialist joinery manufacturer implemented and installed our designs for the timber framed and glazed walls and roofing.
Internal joinery finishes were highlighted with hardwood flooring, bespoke oak door facings and skirtings, plus bespoke 8-panel oak doors, the infill panels either glass or oak veneered boards as appropriate.